How healthy is your heart?
February is American Heart Month. To prevent the disease and help increase awareness about heart disease and stroke Sol Foot & Ankle Centers is encouraging everyone in Long Beach, CA and the greater Los Angeles area to learn about heart disease and live heart-healthy lives.
1 in every 4 deaths is from heart disease and stroke.
Heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women living in the U.S..
Heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women living in Long Beach, CA.
Approximately 2,300 Americans die of cardiovascular disease each day, an average of 1 death every 38 seconds.
The good news is heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular disease can be prevented by making healthy life choices and managing your health. Make healthy changes to lower your risk of developing heart disease. Controlling and preventing risk factors is also important for people who already have heart disease.
To lower your risk of heart disease, stroke and cardiovascular disease:
- Stay at a healthy weight. Being overweight increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular disease.
- Quit smoking, and stay away from second-hand smoke.
- Control your cholesterol.
- Lower your blood pressure.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get active and exercise regularly. Even moderate activity can help reduce your risk.
- Eat a healthy diet low in fats, rich in vegetables and whole grains.
- Manage stress.
Learn More About Your Heart. What's Your Heart's Age?
For more information about heart disease talk to your doctor and find out what you can do to reduce your risk.
Sources & Resources:
American Heart Association - Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics 2018
American Heart Association - Interactive Cardiovascular Video Library
Centers for Disease Control - Heart Disease Fact Sheet
City of Long Beach DHHS - 2010 Health Statistics