Sol Foot & Ankle Centers is supporting the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
During the month of May, we challenge all adults to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life?
It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in U.S. nearly 80% of adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
• Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
• Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days a week.
Physical activity is for everyone. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Together, we can rise to the challenge and get more active during the month of May!
Checkout the list of local things to do around Long Beach.
1. Go for a bike ride. Riding a bicycle is good for your heart, helps to lower blood pressure and blood sugar. Don't have a bike? Join the Long Beach Bike Share Program.
2. Hike the Bolsa Chica Wetlands, an ecological preserve with more than 1,300 total acres of land. Featuring open water, mudflats, salt marsh, coastal dunes, seabird nesting islands, riparian, and freshwater marsh.
3. Take a walk along the Oceanfront Boardwalk.The Oceanfront Boardwalk begins in West Newport Beach and runs nearly 3 miles down the Balboa Peninsula. In Long Beach take a stroll down the Shoreline Pedestrian Path that extends 4.1 miles.
4. Take an exercise class for Free! 24 Hour Fitness is offering a free pass for the gym or any exercise class. Many local gyms will offer a free pass or trial period, all you have to do is ask!
5. Paddle through Alamitos Bay on a Kayak or paddleboard. Rent from a locally owned and operated company that supports it's community.
For more information and tips on fitness and how to be healthy visit www.solfoot.com/blog.